[Plone-UI] How to implement two level site navigation using ZMI?

Lars Löwenadler lars.lowenadler at fcc.chalmers.se
Mon Aug 31 11:08:38 UTC 2009

Here's an update and a question related to this:

Lars Löwenadler wrote:

> Since my last post I have successfully implemented a navigation portlet to
> enable such sub menus. As I don't use the column one portlet (other than
> for Site Setup which visitors won't see anyway) I've simply moved it with
> CSS, putting it horizontally (instead of the default - vertical) below the
> main menu boxes. Currently it works great in some browsers, and not at all
> in other browsers. So the challenge is to make the CSS work with all
> browsers...

The CSS problem seems to be that the navigation portlet isn't visible in
some browsers when putting it above the breadcrumbs. Here's a schematic view
of my site:

------------------------------------
Header with menu boxes
                            □□□□
                              ___
------------------------------------
Personal bar
------------------------------------
Breadcrumbs
------------------------------------

Body

The 2nd level navigation portlet (___) should be at the header, just under
the boxes (□□□□). But, it simply disappears when putting it above the
Breadcrumbs (and it should be even higher - above the Personal bar).

The problem occurs in IE6, IE7 and Opera 10, while it looks good in Firefox
3.5, IE8, Safari and Chrome.

Any ideas here? Is there some trick to make the portlet visible wherever its
position on the site is?

Thanks,
Lars