[Plone-UI] researching Plone UI

David Little david at littled.net
Wed Apr 15 13:47:38 UTC 2009

This is a common UI design pattern which helps users concentrate on
the task in hand so I'd agree this is a good idea. BTW in my UI design
course one of the "psychological principles" of UI design is said to
be, "users have difficulty focusing on more than one activity at a
time" -- so this helps them concentrate on the task in hand.

I tried to find some other examples of this -- the screen grabs from
the O'Reilly book Designing Web Interfaces (well worth a look IMHO)
are on Flickr. Here's one which does something similar to the editing
effect, although it's more of a "lightbox" pop-up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/designingwebinterfaces/3121444948/in/set-72157611354255653/

Cheers,
David

2009/4/15 Espen Moe-Nilssen <espen at medialog.no>:
> Hello
> This is a good idea
>

> Den 15. apr. 2009 kl. 15.02 skrev Laurens:
>
> In the report of one of my interviews, on which I based the visual noise
> theory, I suggest dimming the site around the editing part. I put it online
> for your reading with two example pictures at:
> http://groups.google.nl/group/researching-plone-ui/files
>
> the rtf file turned out to be 5MB containing the two images, strange.
> I am curious what you think of it.
>
> Greetings, Laurens Kling
> Laurens at fourdigits.nl
>

> Espen Moe-Nilssen schreef:
>
> Reading this, I came up with an idea (dont know if it is a good one)
> What if everything except the "editing area" was dimmed when editiing, a
> little like greybox/slimbox galleries does now
>

> Espen Moe-Nilssen
> Subskins III , build your own theme for Plone
> http://www.medialog.no/plone/subskins-iii
>

> Den 14. apr. 2009 kl. 16.48 skrev Laurens:
>
> Hello Plone UI team,
>
> Some of you may have noticed my blog post on planet.plone.org today, My name
> is Laurens Kling and I am an intern at Four Digits to research Plone. If
> you’re interested you can read a short summary of my upcoming report on the
> Plone UI from an end users point of view.
>
> You can read the blog post at:
>
> http://www.fourdigits.nl/tech-blog/summary-of-interview-results
>
> I really appreciate any feedback or comment. You can comment on my blog post
> or join in on:
>
> http://groups.google.nl/group/researching-plone-ui
>
> I will use this group to share my research documents and hopefully get in
> contact with all of you about Plone, its UI and usability.
>
> Laurens Kling
> laurens at fourdigits.nl

David Little
w: www.littled.net