[Plone-UI] How easy is it to customise Plone, really?

David Little david at littled.net
Thu Sep 18 08:34:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

Just to add that if you're not too put off by the initial complexities
of Plone theming, then it's definitely worth checking out Anne
Bowtell's Plone theming guide on Plone.org:

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/theme-reference

It's pretty big but it's a reference more than a tutorial.

As for tables: in the theme I'm working on at the moment, I just
customised the main_template file and replaced the table statements
with <div>s. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do this and I
wouldn't be put off my those developers who tell you not to change
main_template (if Joel Burton and Alex Limi say it's alright, then
that's fine by me).

Finally, if the Plone site you have to work on follows the basic
layout of "out of the box" Plone you could just add your own styles in
ploneCustom.css, although as already suggested, there's only so far
you'll be able to get with this approach.

Best wishes,
David

David Little
www.littled.net