[Plone-UI] How easy is it to customise Plone, really?

Veda Williams veda at onenw.org
Wed Sep 17 18:45:25 UTC 2008

Default Plone does use a table layout, which in turns pulls in code that
renders the page. You can use a tableless layout if you want, which I
understand works pretty well in 3.0. It wasn't really supported in 2.0, but
I understand it worked ok.

Plone-2.0 uses a fairly complex main_template with some TAL / METAL
templating. This is where the table structure lives. On the plus side (in
terms of how easy it is for newbies), it uses templates that can be
customized fairly easily without knowing much programming. You can do it
easily through the web, too, if you don't have to deliver a filesystem
product.

Plone 3.0+ is more complicated and more programmer-y. It relies on a slimmer
main_template and the idea of viewlets, which are snippets of code that you
have to wire into place with some boilerplate code.

Here's a 3.0 theme product that uses tableless:

http://plone.org/products/webcouturier-hosting-theme