[Plone-UI] Greybox IE6 css

Rob Porter robzonenet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:01:08 UTC 2008

I believe IE likes PNG8 over PNG24. But who cares. There is a easy way of
doing this. I needed to figure it out for my theme I did for the Plone
Conference. I wrote up the solution:
https://weblion.psu.edu/trac/weblion/wiki/IePngFix

This solution uses IEFixes so that only IE browsers see it. It also uses the
ie6 hack '* html' so that only ie6 implements it.  It works for all images
that could be on my site amongst other things. :)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Silvestre Marcelo Huens
<s.huens at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Espen Moe-Nilssen <espen at medialog.no>
> wrote:
> > Hi
> > Thanks for all the feedback.
> > I have done css with AlphaImageLoader before but stopped (years ago)
> without
> > remembering why.
> > Is this very very slow / not always working (or maybe it was some mistake
> > did)?
>
> "small"(?) limitation exists with the AlphaImageLoader, in particular
> IE6 has a problem with garbage collection when it comes to CSS filters
> (and number of leaks, the worst of which are related with JScript),
> so, too many filters can drive you to slowness... other problem is the
> cursor doesn't allow you to click the links inside of an element with
> the filter applied (there is a work around for that).
> in some projects I used this script
> http://labs.unitinteractive.com/unitpngfix.php, (in most cases ) works
> very well, very fast to deploy and see if is suitable for you.
>
> I notice in your css code a possible error(for ie6), you have this:

> ".box"  have a fix width (160px), the child ".frame" don't; ie6 set
> blocks to 100% width by default and ".frame" have the shadow of the
> image like background, so the shadow always is going to have a width
> of 160px...
> with a quick workaround (in your ie fixes and just for ie6) like:
>
> .frame {
>    width: 0.1%;
> }
>
> you can fix that...