[Plone-UI] How easy is it to customise Plone, really?

Veda Williams veda at onenw.org
Wed Nov 26 18:43:47 UTC 2008

Hi there, Greg.

I was just looking at your other email...

If paster scares you, don't worry too much. You can generate a theme product
using: http://paster.joelburton.com. It's just a TTW representation of
paster and it's basic recipes. Eventually, if you get to where you can use
paster using your Terminal window, you can, since when you install Plone it
installs paster, ZopeSkel, etc. for you.

Now, as for building out websites... First the ecommerce bit. I assume
you've been looking at GetPaid? That's pretty much your only serious
ecommerce option for Plone. Your other option would be to skin around a
different ecommerce product and make it look like a Plone site. We've done
that for snowleopard.org, with ZenCart, I think.

As for skinning, you're right, it's tough. But yes, you can get away without
knowing anything about Python. I think at this point, your best resource,
other than the tutorials I've already shown you, would be to buy the new
Practical Plone book which is about 1 week away from going into print and is
currently accepting preorders. I worked with David Convent on a really great
chapter on skinning for Plone that I think will help a lot of people, or at
least I hope so.

http://packtpub.com/building-plone-websites-through-the-graphical-interface/
book

Martin Aspeli's Practical Plone Development also covers theming, but his
treatment is really fast and a bit obtuse. I'm sorry that my own theming
book isn't done yet, it's probably going to be March before it's finished,
as the rate I'm going.

As far as the top tutorials I'd recommend:

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/how-to-create-a-plone-3-theme-product-
on-the-filesystem

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/how-to-install-a-3-x-theme-using-build
out

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/how-to-make-your-css-changes-take-effe
ct-instantly

http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/change-the-logo-in-plone-3

http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/customizing-main-template-viewlets
(this one is hands down the best of them all in terms of trying to walk you
through the step by step process)

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/theme-reference  (worth spending some
quality time with this one)

When you get to the point of needing a new home page design, you're going to
need some programming expertise -- probably TAL instead of Python, or you
can always come back and ask. Maybe one of us will have a solution for you.
I think that's the nature of any CMS you work with.

By the way, James Cameron Cooper¹s book is good, but it is *quite* outdated,
so bear that in mind. I¹d recommend a combination of Definitive Guide to
Plone and Martin Aspeli¹s book to start with.

Let me know if this does not answer your question...

- Veda