[Plone-UI] navigation and tabs: context sensitive customization?

molden colden at gmx.net
Thu Jun 19 19:43:26 UTC 2008

Hello,
I am managing a Plone 2.5.3 site with Archetypes 1.4.4.
Now there are some design changes requested which I was a bit too fast to
say "yes this is possible".
It all has to do with the navigation portlet and the tabs and breaks down to
three problems I have not solved so far.

1. How can I make context sensitive design changes?
Example: I have 2 folders in my plone root which are called "jobs" and
"education". As they are in the root, there are two tabs generated
accordingly. Now what I want is that by clicking on the "jobs" tab (or
navigation) the site is displayed in certain colors which are different from
the colors once I click on the "education" tab (so the user is able to know
by color in which section (jobs or education) he is navigating currently).

2. My navigation portlet is supposed to show only the contents of the
current folder. So I found the option in the site setup->navigation settings
"Only show the contents of the current folder." This is almost what I
wanted. One little thing I would love to change though: once there is
nothing in the current folder to display in navigation the portlet goes away
completely. Is there any way to keep it there, even if the only content of
the navigation box is the link to the current folder?

3. I know that I can generate a tab by putting a folder in root, also I know
I can hide this folder from tabs and navigation by selecting "Exclude from
navigation". Now my question: is there any way I can differentiate between
display of tabs and in navigation? (I have a folder which I don't want to
show as a tab but I still want it in the navigation portlet)

Thanks a lot and Greetings from Berlin
SK