[Plone-UI] Creating thumbnails of documents

grahamperrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 12:01:36 UTC 2008

Jason J wrote:
> How do I go about creating thumbnails of files?  Like DOC's, PDF's and
> DWG's (autocad)
>
> If I upload JPEG's and choose "thumbnails" as the view it seems to work
> pretty good, but I'd like it for all types.

Within the out-of-the-box capabilities of Plone:

* a Plone thumbnail of a JPEG is a scaled-down version of the JPEG.

Beyond, or addable to, the current capabilities of Plone:

For other formats, such as .doc, there's nothing to scale down; something
(not necessarily the Microsoft Word application) must produce, from the .doc
format, a view of the file.

I'm familiar with two add-on products for Plone, one of which requires
converters (external to Plone), that combine to present a browser-friendly
_preview_ of convertible files. However, these are full-size previews, and
I'm not aware of anyone scaling them down for thumbnail purposes.

At <http://www.bud.ca/blog/plone-wishes> under the heading 'Improve desktop
integration' I see more wishful/advanced thoughts that relate to previewing,
outside Plone, of objects that are within Plone.

Regards
Graham