[Plone-UI] How to do roundtrip theme design with graphic/web designer?

Jinshi Z jinshiz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 19:26:17 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a question regarding the cooperation between a plone developer
and graphic/web designer. I just started to work on a site using
plone3. Although I am new to plone, but I always enjoy programming.
But I have no hope in the graphic design department. Luckily, I find
someone who's good at that and he uses Adobe Dreamweaver for website
design. The idea is that he produces a plain html/css template and I
convert it into a plone theme.

Here is the problem: after converted into a plone theme, it will be
hard for the designer to change the site design again since plone
theme essentially tear the html template apart. If he updates the
original html template, I will have to convert the new template into
theme again. The ideal situation would be to update his template with
zope template tag and give him the updated template so that he can
continue adding more bells and whistles to the whole design. But I
don't see anyway to do that.

I suppose that the idea of making ZPT xhtml compatible is to make .pt
file editable by WYSIWYG editor. But how can designer and developer do
roundtrip development without having to create a theme again? I
probably miss something completely here. I am a total newbie, so
please feel free to correct me or share your advice. Thank you.

Jinshi