[Plone-UI] Re: Plone, restructured text, STX and CSS

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Mar 21 20:42:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:08:57 -0700, Dave Turvene
<dturvene at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm a big fan of ReST and do as much writing in it as I can.  I'm also a
> big fan
> of Plone and use it to publish my ReST documents.  Therein lies the rub
> because
> the two seem to have a limited relationship as demonstrated in plone
> ticket 4292.

Yeah, I would be much more likely to use ReST if they cleaned up its
output somewhat, maybe you can help champion that?

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.documentation/1498
for an example of how bad it gets.

Other pet peeves are that they are supposed to live inside other systems
(like wikis, CMSes, etc), and thus should not use super-generic class
names like "document" — it would be better if they used a prefix on all of
them, like "rest-document".

> These additions seem to be necessary for ReST inside a Plone site, and
> probably
> others.  My questions are:
>
> 1) What are good CSS development tools?  I use WebDeveloper in Firefox
> but find
> I need to search through a lot of CSS to locate and prototype changes.

Firebug is the best CSS tool ever:

http://www.getfirebug.com

> 2) What is the CSS philosophy I should be following to use ReST in Plone?
> Continue with .stx class extensions or create new CSS classes based on
> the a
> .docutils class?

If ReST outputs a "docutils" class, you should probably make use of that,
but I don't really know the specifics here. :)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net