[Plone-UI] Plone as a Research Web Tool

Pedro pedro.rocha at ineti.pt
Fri Feb 2 09:40:04 UTC 2007

staff at plonesolutions.com wrote:

 > I agree it would be nice to have functionality like this inside Plone.
 > (And there are already efforts moving very fast in that direction.)
 > The Ajax13 tools themselves seem to be closed-source software only
 > provided as a service from that company. We don't have the possiblity
 > to include in Plone software that does not comply with the GPL Free
 > software license.
 >
 > I think you'll be seeing functionality like this ( but developed
 > specially for Plone ) in the next year, even though we cannot use
 > these tools directly.
 >
 > best regards :)

Hi,

Good to know!

One more thing, I work in a Research Institute (Lisboa - Portugal), and
I'm joining Value-collaborative Plone add-ons/products within Plone
itself to create a Open Portal-Platform (a kind of small-global-village
of Joint Research) - not open to public yet, sorry. There are a lot of
OSS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_software_packages)
Science-Research related, so could it (or most it) be recompiled into
Plone and transform them in inside-Plone worktools. Some examples:

1 Applied fields
          o 1.1 Business
          o 1.2 CAx
          o 1.3 Finance
          o 1.4 Mathematics
          o 1.5 Science
                + 1.5.1 Geographic information system
                + 1.5.2 Plotting
                + 1.5.3 Scanning probe microscopy
                + 1.5.4 Microscope image processing
                + 1.5.5 Molecule viewer
          o 1.6 Statistics
                + 1.6.1 Graphics
2 Assistive technology
          o 2.1 Connection with USB or/and Serial Ports
3 Data storage and management
          o 3.4 Data mining
4 Document editing
          o 4.1 Office suite
          o 4.2 Word processing
          o 4.7 Spreadsheet
11 Media
          o 11.1 Multimedia codecs / containers / splitters
          o 11.2 Audio editors / audio management
          o 11.3 Graphics
          o 11.6 Media players
          o 11.7 Radio
          o 11.8 Television
          o 11.9 2D animation
          o 11.10 Video editing
          o 11.11 CD-writing software
          o 11.12 Other Media packages
12 Networking and Internet
          o 12.11 Webcam
          o 12.15 Middleware

Well, you get the picture! Objective: to provide almost real-time
scientific results and publishing with added opinions of the peers or
other ones that aren't related with these fields.

Just another idea!

Keep up with an excellent work!
Best regards,

Pedro

staff at plonesolutions.com wrote:
 >> Hi,
 >
 > I am sure some of them can. I am also sure many of them already are.
 > at http://plone.org/products/ you can find many products for Plone.
 > Some of them might already be built on the systems you pointed to.
 >

 > Tip : the best place to have discussions like this is probably the
 > plone.users mailinglist.  http://plone.org/support
 >
 > Best regards :)

So here I am! :)