[Plone-UI] Re: RTL - Hebrew unusable in IE6 and FF

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Feb 3 00:39:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:17:52 -0800, Paul Razumovsky
<paul.rz at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's unfortunate that Hebrew speaking users can't use Plone right out of
> the box. It's a pity they can't use it, because I saw how much effort
> was put in RTL and what an amazing job Ofer Weisglass did by translating
> Plone to Hebrew.

Yes, Ofer has done a great job, along with Mohsen - to make the RTL work
at all. I did the CSS implementation, which is still lacking in certain
areas, but mostly working.

> I am trying to fix these issues by myself but it's seems that I don't
> have enough expertise yet. Maybe someone can give me a direction where
> to look. Could it be the CSS, the code or something else?

It's the "interesting" combination of CSS bugs in IE and the additional
bugs introduced by their RTL support. And worst of all, Firefox doesn't
even do this properly.

> Is this the right mailing list to post to or should I post it to the
> devel list? It looks like all these issues are UI related.

Yes.

The big problem is that we need to find a developer that:

1) Has CSS knowledge beyond the trivial

2) Has RTL knowledge

3) Preferrably knows Plone enough to not be totally overwhelmed by the
task :)

I have spent quite a few hours on this, but my time is limited, especially
in supporting users that are not our customers nor have money to sponsor
this work. However much I wish Plone worked perfectly in RTL environments,
I cannot invest more time at this point. I got it 95% there, and need
somebody to help out with the remaining 5%.

> Is it acceptable to post the same mail to multiple mailing lists at once?

Generally not, but in this case it may be.