[Plone-UI] Admin Notify + Referral Source

William (Andy) Smith asmith at mik-maq.com
Sun Apr 23 08:03:15 UTC 2006

I have people subscribe to www.mik-maq.com, but I need to identify those who
are subscribing for a particular issue... for example, my class reunion
section. This lets me flag former classmates as having access to the section
of interest to them. So I had two problems:

1) I needed to be notified by email that someone joined.

2) I *really* want to be notified by email that they are family, friends, or
classmates so I can add them to the appropriate group.

I have already added in a 'web_refer' text field, and that aspect works out
nicely enough. I have created an 'admin_notify' template based on the
registered_notify template. I then took a ball-pean hammer to
RegistrationTool.py and made the following modification:

<         # Admin gets notified, darnit!
<         mail_text = self.admin_notify_template( self
<                                                    , self.REQUEST
<                                                    , member=member
<                                                    , password=password
<                                                    , email=email
<                                                    )
<
<         host = self.MailHost
<         host.send( mail_text )
<

Now, I *know* my fix will break the next time the code is upgraded.
Presuming it will *upgrade*. That's the risk, but I *really* need to set
flags on people in a timely fashion.

I've not figured out yet how to get my 'web_refer' field sent in the email,
but once I know someone joined I can go look that up if they filled it out.
By the by, I do *not* have it send me their password. Since this was a 'I do
not have a clue what I am really doing' dirty hack, I changed *ONLY* those
things I had to in hopes it would do what I wanted. Cut & Paste roxxors.

If I could wave a magic wand, a 'notify the following members of new
subscribers' flag would be in the website preference, and a selection
process for me to select myself. There may be a better way of doing this by
group permissions, but I have 'admin' in the ZMI as well as my 'Romaq'
account I do use, and I only one *one* email for now, and in the future I
might select other members to help with this.

A flag would be below that for 'Request Referral Source?'. Of course, all
these would be *off* by default, but I think knowing new people are joining,
and getting an idea how they found the site would be on the minds of most
who run Plone.

Presuming the 'notify' flag was set and I've selected who gets notified, I
would get a pretty basic notification of what username joined, along with
perhaps their full name. If the template worked in the correct part of the
process stream, I think I can have the template tell me anything I want. But
I don't think my *current* template is in the correct part of the data
stream for it. Anyway, presuming I have the 'Request Referral Source' flag
set, if they told me how they found me I would be given that info.

If there is a product that does this, or if it is simple enough for someone
to make it, I would rejoice greatly, and will gladly pay a reasonable fee to
have it made on my behalf and released back to GNU. If you think on those
lines of 'fee for service rendered', you are welcome to discuss with me
terms for 'reasonable'. For the time being, I'll keep an eye on how things
are working, such as they are, and hope I didn't do something REALLY BAD to
my code base.

Thanks for your time, and I really do thank you for a fantastic product for
www.mik-maq.com.

Cheers!

--Romaq