[Plone-UI] Thoughts on making plone ui easier for novice computer users

Gerry Kirk gerry at faithonline.com
Mon Mar 7 18:36:10 UTC 2005

Hi UI team,

Here's a few observations from working with a wide cross-section of
users on our plone-based system of things that provide obstacles to
people working effectively (I'm skipping ones that I know are already on
the UI to-do list):

*	needing to first find location to put content. Content is stored
in various folders in a site, according to site structure. Users have to
go to the appropriate folder to add in content first. In a typical CMS
with an RDBMS, a centralized control panel is used to add new content,
and the system manages the site structure, which is easier for the user
to figure out IMO. With standard Zope / Plone, the two seem more
tightly-coupled.

*	tab overdose. It's easy to end up with numerous tabs with just a
few products installed. The UI only really handles about 4-5 nicely. Too
many tabs gets confusing and perhaps overwhelming. We need a better way
to group and display actions.

I think the other issues are covered: folderish vs. non-folderish,
editing default page vs. folder, deleting content.

Thanks for all your great work. I hope this feedback is helpful.

Cheers,

Gerry Kirk
Project Manager
Faith Online Ltd., Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
Visit us at www.faithonline.com, www.diocesessm.org
<http://www.diocesessm.org/>

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King, Jr.