[Plone-UI] Re: is the last declartion in ploneIEFixes.css necessary/beneficial?

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Mar 4 14:11:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:08:48 +0000 (UTC), Duncan Booth
<duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk> wrote:

> I agree with you that this particular 'cure' is often worse than the
> problem it attempts to resolve. Amongst other issues it breaks text
> wrapping round floating images by making the floating box as high as the
> object it is floated against.

Yup, this is a big problem.

> There seem to be several sites agreeing that the best fix is setting the
> height to 1% (or less) which depends on IE interpreting a height setting
> as
> a minimum height setting and expanding the box if necessary.
>
> There is still a problem though that you have to apply the hack to every
> box which contains a float, and if your floated content is inside the
> content of a document this may not be easy to ensure. I've found that
> setting lineheight (yet another way of avoiding the bug) is a useful way
> of
> applying this fix almost everywhere:
>
>    p { line-height: 1.1em; }
>
> would fix the display on all floats inside <p> tags with minimal bad
> effects.

You can also explicitly position the element with position:relative, and
it will get fix it. This has other "interesting" effects, though.

I'm very interested in finding a better permanent solution to this, the
original fix was just put there to make it work for the 2.0 release, and
is far from optimal. Please report back if you find something that works
better.