[Plone-testing-team] PEP 8 modernisation

Gil Forcada gil.forcada at freitag.de
Mon Aug 5 17:15:31 UTC 2013

El Aug 5, 2013, a les 6:56 PM, Héctor Velarde va escriure:

> On 03/08/13 05:08, Timo Stollenwerk wrote:
>> This means 99 characters are still the exception from the rule and we
>> should test for the main rule not the exception (at least by default).
>
> from the updated PEP 8:
>
> "Some teams strongly prefer a longer line length. For code maintained exclusively or primarily by a team that can reach agreement on this issue, it is okay to increase the nominal line length from 80 to 100 characters (effectively increasing the maximum length to 99 characters), provided that comments and docstrings are still wrapped at 72 characters."
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#maximum-line-length
>
> IIRC, this was discussed previously on the developers list and was the only PEP 8 rule that some people, including me, mentioned as non-sense.
>
> why don't we create a poll and ask core developers to vote on it?

IMHO polls for this kind of things are time sinks that never end (bikeshedding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikeshedding).

If Plone wants to make it easier to general python programmers, the less plone-only rules we have the easier.

Cheers,
Gil

> if most of us (> 66% of voters) prefer to use a 99 line limit, we change it; if not, we stay with 79.
>
> best regards

DER FREITAG Mediengesellschaft mbH & Co. KG

Gil Forcada
Webentwickler - Freitag Online

Hegelplatz 1
D-10117 Berlin