[Setup] Upgrading from plone 3.2.1 to Plone 4x

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Sun Jan 26 19:59:06 UTC 2020

I used the plone unified installer for all my installs of the various
versions. My server is Debian linux which may make that easier.

I found my notes but I think most of them are too specific to my
situation to be useful for yours.

If helpful, my progression was:

3.2.2 to 3.3.5 (last 3.x release at the time I did this).

Then 3.3.5 to 4.0.8 (was most recent 4.x at the time I did this).

Then later on an upgrade to 4.3.7.

One thing I noticed was that I had several failures on startup of a new
version, because of file permission issues. Perms after running
buildout, for a few key pieces, were not set properly and so plone would
fail to start up. Some examples from my  notes:

---------------
perms issue on
/opt/Plone-4.3.7/zeocluster/var/filestorage/my-domain-filestorage
group needs write perms - did not have them from buildout creation of
dir - fix by doing:
$ sudo chmod g+w
------------------

-------------------
Problem was file permissions in the log directories for server and client.
FIX:
User plone_daemon MUST own the paths to the log files, e.g.
/opt/Plone-4.3.7/zeocluster/var/client1/event.log
/opt/Plone-4.3.7/zeocluster/var/zeoserver/zeoserver.log'

For unknown reasons plone_buildout owned some of the dirs on the path.
Changing owner to plone_daemon fixed the issue.
If running buildout in future, check for what ownership is
set...buildout may be doing this?

HTH,
John