[Setup] Upgrading from plone 3.2.1 to Plone 4x

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Sun Jan 26 01:08:46 UTC 2020

I have upgraded one site from 3.x to 4.x successfully. No custom
products though, just products from the normal sources/repositories.

It has been quite a few years since I did that so I don't remember
details. I may have some notes somewhere I can send you.

But IIRC, you cannot go direct from 3.2.1 to 4.x.
You need to go to the last ("newest") 3.x version.
Then upgrade to 4.x, and I cannot recall for sure but I don't think you
can go straight to the newest 4.x version. You have to step your way
through versions so each upgrade routine does its thing before the next
one. In some cases there is not much it has to do, and mostly it is
automated.

But with custom products you made for 3.x there may be other
complications, you may have to upgrade the products as well.

cheers,
John