[Setup] Unable to send test e-mail

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Thu Jun 18 23:41:48 UTC 2015

On 18 June 2015 at 08:45, James Hanson <jahanso at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are getting the following message when setting up the Mail settings and
> doing the "save and send test email".
> Error Unable to send test e-mail [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:1411809D:SSL
> routines:SSL_CHECK_SERVERHELLO_TLSEXT:tls invalid.
>
> Sending through our SMTP server works from the command line.
>
> Traceback at: http://pastie.org/10247132
> Plone version 4.2.1 on linux 2.6.33.7-server-2mnb
>
> Not finding much help from searching.

It is related to Python 2.7, it's SSL built and what default SSL/TLS Python
uses when it negotiates the secret connection. Knowing what kind of
encryption the mail server uses might give a hint.

Here is a mixed bag of related errors:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10678695/in-python-3-2-i-can-open-and-read-an-https-web-page-with-http-client-but-urlli

Potential causes I come up in my mind are

- Python tries SSLv2 when SSLv3 required

- The server requires Server Name Identification (SNI) support which Python
version running Plone supports

Unfortunately I am not sure how to fix, but with more information I am sure
this is solvable.

As a work around what you can always do: Setting up a mail server on the
server (localhost) which works as a slave for the actual external mail
server. Here is an example for Ubuntu Linux and Postfix:

http://opensourcehacker.com/2013/03/26/using-postfix-and-free-mandrill-email-service-for-smtp-on-ubuntu-linux-server/

Thanks,
Mikko

> James.