[Setup] Mitigate broken bin/instance restart command issues

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Fri Mar 8 16:25:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

According to this SO.com answer http://stackoverflow.com/a/15292967/315168
bin/restart does not function after running buildout. Observations prove
this is the case.

Because bin/instance (bin/plonectl) restart is natural way to restart Plone
and we cannot guarantee its to success we have been shipping non-working
restart since Plone 3.

So, I suggest we fix the issue is it causes confusion and grief early Plone
adaptors and even seasoned developers

- Remove restart command if doesn't work with buildout

- Fix it by somehow (mapping to bin/start, bin/stop)

- Make restart command detect conditions where it cannot success and exit
with failure

Any ideas?

-----

Follow me in Twitter