[Setup] Re-post as: "Why Plone 4.2.3 page-loads slow if server not working hard?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 19:33:44 UTC 2013

Upon doing a good bit further reading/partial understanding, here are my
thoughts/plans and questions:

   1. First thing I need to do is set up more zeo clients.  I'm running
   everything on an older quad-core xeon server w/6 GB RAM and only 1
   client--never needed more before so never had to figure this out.  Looks
   like using only 1 client would explain under-utilization of the hardware
   even though the web server is maxing out.
      1. On this page:
      http://developer.plone.org/reference_manuals/active/deployment/stack.htmlit
recommends one client per core--i.e. 4 clients for my server.
      2. On this page:
      http://developer.plone.org/performance/instancesthreads.html it says
      the rule of thumb is 2 instances per core--i.e. 8 clients for my
server.  I
      saw this on another page.  Not sure what to go for...
      2. On this fairly recent page (
   http://plonechix.blogspot.com/2011/08/10-minute-caching-with-apache.html)
   Apache is recommended for the load balancing--will give it a try since I
   already use Apache for rewrite to serve on port 80. Unless someone strongly
   recommends something else?
   3. Munin (running on a virtualbox in which I'm running a plone site from
   home) was using lots of cpu so I shut it down and haven't persued it
   further.  At some point I'll probably get back to it...
   4. On Tuesday I did the local-user-test and it seemed to lag just as
   much as for the LDAP users, so seems like LDAP is not a big issue.
   5. And in reference to Héctor's questions:
   1. - how many ZEO client instances are you running? (1 as mentioned
      above)
      - how are they configured? how many threads? how many cache objects?
      (Um, what is default ootb values?)
      - is your server running out of memory in some way? (Not at all, not
      even half is used)
      2. I've tried both with diazo running while using the cool sun/rain
      responsive theme from Quintagroup, and also disabling diazo.  Pretty slow
      both ways, but really would like to use it.
      6. Can someone help me interpret the yslow info? But first, how
   should I share that info--attach the index.html file? copy/paste onto a
   pastebin page? Make some screen shots?
   7. Also, up until today on the plone.app.caching page I only had checked
   both boxes (enable caching and Gzip compression) however this morning I
   also did the recomendations by eleddy on her blog page mentioned above, so
   we'll see how that goes!

Thanks!!

David