[Setup] --allow-hosts and why life is so sad even if drinking beer?

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Thu Feb 7 12:06:35 UTC 2013

>From engineer viewpoint, I don't like the fact that buildout craws
half of the internet if it doesn't have to :(

If READMEs have dead domains are gone you also get those "Download
error" warnings which scare newcomer users.

I am now looking Unified Installer base.cfg:

find-links =
    http://dist.plone.org
    http://download.zope.org/ppix/
    http://download.zope.org/distribution/
    http://effbot.org/downloads

Does PyPi have a "simple" index which we might want to prefer here at
the first entry? E.g on without all the README stuff and buildout
would default to go there without crawling package READMEs?

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Héctor Velarde <hector.velarde at gmail.com> wrote:
> personally I don't see any reason to do so as there are other ways to speed
> up your buildout for daily use:
>
> 1. set up buildout caches as described in
> https://plone.org/documentation/manual/developer-manual/managing-projects-with-buildout/creating-a-buildout-defaults-file
>
> 2. use buildout -N option to avoid seeking for new distributions
>
> 3. use buildout -t option to specify the socket timeout
>
> we only use --allow-hosts in places like Travis CI because there seem to be
> no other ways to improve performance there.
>
> best regards
>
> Héctor Velarde

Mikko Ohtamaa
http://opensourcehacker.com