[Setup] Re-post as: "Why Plone 4.2.3 page-loads slow if server not working hard?

dgroos djgroos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:48:20 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Wish I could delete post from earlier today, this one is clearer and has a
more informative title. Please refer to this post.

Our plone 4.2.3 site seems fairly snappy with single user.  With 25 students
simultaneously accessing the site (as authenticated members), things bogged
down to almost a halt--taking 3-5 or more minutes to simply load a page.  I
deactivated as many non-essential add-ons as I could, including dropdown
menu, diazo and a theme, but still pages would still take 2-3 minutes to
load with a class of 25.

Strangely, htop reported the processors rarely pegged 100%, and even after
30 minutes of this painful process, the load averages were .48, and .36 (as
reported in htop)!  And, again according to htop, the memory used was less
than 1/2 the physical RAM available!

*Details:
*---Plone 4.2.3 zeo/root install running in production mode on our districts
backbone--very good network specs.
---Hardware is ProLiant DL380 G4, 2 cpu, dual-core Xeon CPU 3.20GHz
processors (total 4 cores), 6 GB RAM.
---It is running Ubuntu 10.04.
---Apache rewrite rules to serve on port 80.
---Student computers access site from within district firewall (I'll try
pointing browser at the 10.x.x.x internal address and not FQDN next time).
---Plone running "LDAP Support" uses the district's Active Directory server.

Any recommendations for areas to investigate?  Things I could try?  Logs to
check? I really want to use Plone with my students often, and I know I can't
unless this nut can be cracked.

*Here are further ZMI-reported specs:
*Zope Version  (2.13.19, python 2.7.3, linux2)
Python Version  2.7.3 (default, Dec 30 2012, 17:12:59) [GCC 4.4.3]
System Platform linux2
INSTANCE_HOME  /usr/local/Plone/zeocluster/parts/client1
CLIENT_HOME  /usr/local/Plone/zeocluster/var/client1
Network Services ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_server (Port: 8080)
Running For 22 days 23 hours 9 min 57 sec
(main database was small: 548 MB and after packing went down to 273 MB)

Thanks for your work on Plone,
David Groos