[Setup] Installation guide update - non-root recommendation

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Tue Feb 5 22:36:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to clarify this issue once for all (so we can get it written
down).

Steve McMahon wrote
> On the production install, a moderately skilled sysadmin can probably do
> as
> good a job with a non-root install by setting up a non-privileged user for
> the install (which is what the installer does when run in root mode).
>
> The 4.3 installer in root mode does an even better job. It uses different
> users for buildout and the daemons, so that the daemons can only write to
> var.

I am mainly dealing with a situation where I want to extra security through
UNIX user accounts (different sites of different clients run on different
UNIX accounts).

Questions I have immediately in my mind include:

Does 4.3 installer mean Ineed two UNIX user accounts (one for buildouting,
one for launching the daemon)

How one is suppose to update src/ files on run buildout? As a sudo and root?

Do you still need to launch the site as a root and you cannot do
bin/instance restart as a normal user?

-----

Follow me in Twitter

Read my blog