[Setup] Should my class be maxing out my 4.2.3 setup?

dgroos djgroos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:55:02 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Today for the first time I finally had my 9th graders use our classroom
plone site to create content.  As a single user, it seems fairly snappy,
however when I had 10 students working simultaneously things were slow,
taking up to 30-60 seconds to serve a page.  When I had 25 students using
the site simultaneously, things bogged down to almost a halt--taking 3-5 or
more minutes to simply load a page or change user preferences.  After first
period I quickly went into the sit setup, deactivated dropdown menu and
things were a bit quicker.  And during lunch I deactivated diazo and the
sun/rain theme and any other addon I knew I didn't need.  But still, pages
would take a 2-3 minutes to load with a class of 25.

The strange thing is that, I sshed into the server while this was going on
and running htop it seemed that the processors rarely pegged 100%.  Even
after 30 minutes of this painful process, the load averages were .48, and
.36!  And, according to htop, the memory used was less than 1/2 the physical
RAM available!  This made me think that I've got something mis-configured on
the server.

Details:
Plone 4.2.3 zeo/root install running in production mode on our districts
backbone--very good network specs.  It is running on an elder ProLiant DL380
G4, 2 cpu, dual-core Xeon CPU 3.20GHz processors (total 4 cores).  There is
6 GB RAM.  It is running Ubuntu 10.04.  I've been using it for 4 years or so
to host my plone site, recently upgrading to 4.2.3.  I'm using Apache
rewrite rules to serve on port 80.  Computers accessing site from within
district firewall (I wonder if I should have students access using the
10.x.x.x internal address and not via the external DNS name?).

Here are further ZMI-reported specs:
Zope Version  (2.13.19, python 2.7.3, linux2)
Python Version  2.7.3 (default, Dec 30 2012, 17:12:59) [GCC 4.4.3]
System Platform linux2
INSTANCE_HOME  /usr/local/Plone/zeocluster/parts/client1
CLIENT_HOME  /usr/local/Plone/zeocluster/var/client1
Network Services ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_server (Port: 8080)
Running For 22 days 23 hours 9 min 57 sec
(main database was small: 548 MB and after packing went down to 273 MB)

Any recommendations for areas to investigate?  Things I could try?  I really
want to be using Plone with my students often, and I know I can't unless
this nut can be cracked.

Thanks for your work on Plone,
David Groos