[Setup] Installing Add-ons via Buildout gives error

Larry Pitcher unclelarry at inlandnet.com
Tue Feb 5 19:41:08 UTC 2013

On 2/5/2013 9:57 AM, Russ wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Yep that URL works for me too. I've also tried running CMD as administrator.
>
> Before using buildout should I follow the steps on this page:
> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/using-buildout-on-windows?
>
> On a related note, does installing add-ons and working with Plone in general
> require knowledge of python/svn? I'd consider myself a junior/intermediate
> developer but haven't worked with either of those 2 technologies. I've been
> asked to look into Plone for use at my company as a CMS.
>
> Thanks.

Russ,

You don't need to use the tutorial about buildout-on-windows if you use
the Plone Windows Installer. You should be able to just get in there and
edit the buildout.cfg and "run" your buildout. It can be a bit
confusing, since there's a buildout.cfg which you edit and also a
buildout.exe which you run.

Anyway, if you're building a web site and you can find plugins that meet
your needs you won't have to learn how to develop for Plone, except that
you'll most likely need to create your own theme product.

So, you won't need to deal with coding Python or checking things in/out
of SVN. You may want to use your source code repository of choice for
your custom theme product, of course.

Sorry I can't be of more help with your original question.

Cheers,

--
Larry Pitcher
Catapult Solutions