[Setup] Is Plone for Windows 2008 R2 or for Linux only?

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Fri Aug 16 18:37:57 UTC 2013

You're definitely best off using the Windows installer — unless you need to
develop C-language additions. ONLY if you need to develop C-language
extensions on Windows will you need to create your own Visual Studio or
MingGW environment.

Plone is nearly exclusively written in Python. The underlying Zope app
server has some components written in C. The windows installer includes
binary versions of those.