[Setup] ZODB Replicated Storage experiences?

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 10:02:10 UTC 2013

I would love to see a talk at ploneconf about
zrs vs relstorage vs neoppod vs [I am sure I missed something]

http://www.neoppod.org/

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Gil Forcada Codinachs
<gforcada at gnome.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No experience withe either (ZRS or relstorage) but really interested to dive
> into them relatively soon (~ before end of the year) so I'm really
> interested in this topic, please bring your experiences!
>
> Cheers,
> Gil
>

> 2013/8/15 Patrick Gerken <do3ccqrv at googlemail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> a customer of ours has been using ZRS before it was open sourced. Two or
>> three weeks ago we found an issue that forced us to stop using zrs. We are
>> still waiting for feedback though. Maybe we are just doing something wrong.
>> Also, we are using an old version, so we do not have blob experience.
>>
>> We did not notice any performance changes after we switched off
>> replication. So it seems to be without performance penalties. Both servers
>> are very close to each other though.
>>
>> The way WE set up replication, there would be still a long delay between
>> failovers. I guess with the newer versions and zookeeper support you might
>> be able to keep you zeo clients running when switching from master to
>> secondary. I believe you still have to restart your secondary zeo server to
>> use a different configuration to act as a master. Else there is no writing
>> possible.
>>
>> I am btw. interested in your Relstorage Setup. Are you using the released
>> version or the source checkout with the new features. What is the issue with
>> packing? Does it take long and degrades answer times?
>>
>> Thanks an best regards,
>>
>>         Patrick
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM, Héctor Velarde <hector.velarde at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> as many of you may know by now, ZODB Replicated Storage (ZRS) was
>>> released as open source software last May:
>>>
>>> https://bitbucket.org/zc/zc.zrs
>>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.zrs
>>>
>>> according to its documentation, ZRS "provides database replication for
>>> ZODB. For each database, a primary storage and one or more secondary
>>> storages may be defined. The secondary storages will automatically replicate
>>> data from the primary storage.
>>>
>>> "Replication is superior to back-ups because as long as secondaries are
>>> running, secondary data is kept updated. In the event of a failure of a
>>> primary storage, just reconfigure a secondary to be the primary, and it can
>>> begin handling application requests."
>>>
>>> in the past we have been using RelStorage for high availability and
>>> replication but we are not extremely happy with it because, at least on our
>>> experience, on sites with lot of content creation can DB maintenance
>>> (packing) can be a little bit problematic. besides that, you also have to
>>> maintain 2 different technologies.
>>>
>>> I just finished reading the documentation and, though fortunately it does
>>> not have doctest integrated, it also is not very clear, at least not for me.
>>>
>>> I think ZRS could be a killer feature for large, mission critical Plone
> [...]

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>