[Setup] SQLAlchemy (how to install)

Dan Jacka danjacka at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:35:09 UTC 2012

On 27/09/12 20:54, barnsey123 wrote:
> Dan Jacka wrote
>> You've gotten those packages, but they won't do much on their own. (If
>> you were wanting to knock down a building, you've gotten a crane and a
>> wrecking ball, but no chain, driver, etc.). You need your own package
>> that brings everything together
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> yeah, I was beginning to suspect this (as no new "buttons to press" appeared
> anywhere - either in ZMI or site setup). I think I'm going to start back at
> the beginning. I was trying to take shortcuts in order to learn plone in a
> reasonable timescale but this morning I just don't think it's possible - for
> me anyway - it seems that in Plone you have to know /everything/ to be able
> to do /anything/. It's very frustrating. Does it really have to be so hard?

Don't be disheartened! You're probably closer than you think. It's
obvious from the words you use that you've learnt lots already.

The Plone community is working hard to make things easier. People are
removing old, past-its-best technologies to simplify the stack and
thereby reduce what you have to learn. Efforts like plone.api and the
Diazo theme editor are focused on making you productive much faster. The
learning curve is getting shallower.

Here is a grab bag of tips gleaned from my own experiences:
- Be comfortable searching the Plone source code. Writing your own
packages means using exactly the same techniques used in Plone core, so
get in there and grab anything you need.
- Write a browser view or two. They're easy, but they encapsulate a lot
of the fundamental concepts of modern Plone development. Plone core
contains a tonne of examples that you can plunder.
- Do not be afraid of the Zope Component Architecture. Understand what
an adapter and a utility are and the complexity of Plone will fall away ...
- Find some add-ons that you like, then dissect them to see how they're
put together. Choose something relatively self-contained, e.g.
Products.Carousel
- Participate in the #plone IRC channel. It's amazing what secrets you
can learn in there.
- Carry on asking good questions on the mailing lists.

Dan