[Setup] SQLAlchemy (how to install)

Dan Jacka danjacka at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:52:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 26/09/12 23:14, barnsey123 wrote:
> Dan/AJ,
>
> I have this book and I've read the section on installing this package but at
> my level of Plone knowledge it didn't make any sense.  Obviously there has
> to be some assumed knowledge in a book like that but it's knowledge that I
> don't yet have...
>
> So...going down the buildout.cfg route suggested by AJ I've added this to
> the eggs section (in bold):
> ############################################
> # Eggs
> # ----
> # Add an indented line to the eggs section for any Python
> # eggs or packages you wish to include.
> #
> eggs =
>      Plone
>      Pillow
>      *z3c.saconfig
>      MySQL-python*
>
> Then did a bin/buildout which did indeed go and fetch the required stuff
>
> *************** PICKED VERSIONS ****************
> [versions]
> MySQL-python = 1.2.3
> SQLAlchemy = 0.7.8
> z3c.saconfig = 0.13
> zope.sqlalchemy = 0.7.1
>
> *************** /PICKED VERSIONS ***************
>
> I now need to take some pills and lie down in a dark room...my head hurts.
>
> Thanks guys for all the help, it is REALLY appreciated (even if I don't
> understand it!)

You've gotten those packages, but they won't do much on their own. (If
you were wanting to knock down a building, you've gotten a crane and a
wrecking ball, but no chain, driver, etc.). You need your own package
that brings everything together.

The book has instructions for creating an `optilux.cinemacontent`
package to hold your configuration. You'll have to modify the
instructions though if you're on Plone 4.2 and you've installed through
the Unified Installer. I wonder .. while you're learning could you use
the virtualenv method (see 'Creating an isolated Python environment',
page 35)? You already have a system Python 2.6, so it should be easy.
Then the book's instructions will work without modification.

Dan