[Setup] SQLAlchemy (how to install)

barnsey123 nbarnes at csavagencies-uk.com
Wed Sep 26 09:45:00 UTC 2012

I've done a lot of googling and have read some of the sqlalchemy docs but I'm
a bit lost.

I've performed "easy_install SQLAlchemy" on my Debian box but it has
installed it in my "normal" python (2.6) rather than Plone's own Python 2.7
installation (obvious I suppose).

It installed an egg in the 2.6 directory but not sure where to go from
here...I'm guessing that the 2.6egg might not work 100% with python 2.7.

Installed
*/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/SQLAlchemy-0.7.8-py2.6.egg*

I'm hoping to be able to connect to various databases from Plone but not
really sure where to start. SQLAlchemy seemed a good bet but it's tough
working out what to do...

Searching on "download and extend" on plone.org for "databasey" entries
doesn't mention SQLAlchemy at all.  (not for 4.x anyway)

So, the question is/are:

1. How do I install SQLAlchemy so that it is visible by Plone 4.2?
2. Er...
3. That's it.

All help gratefully recieved.
Barnsey