[Setup] PloneLDAP made my Plone 4.2 'connection reset'

Servilio Afre Puentes afrepues at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Tue Sep 25 14:49:24 UTC 2012

piotrlg <piotrlg at gmail.com> writes:
> Hi
>
> I have Plone 4.2. Worked fine until I decided to install PloneLDAP (to be
> more specific plone.app.ldap but PloneLDAP was  required).
>
> I have installed Plone on Ubuntu 11.04 using unified installer. So I have
> two pythons on my system: system wide and local for plone. I have installed
> python-ldap on local plone python interpreter with pip command
>
> pip -E /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/bin/python2.7 install python-ldap
>
> Than according to docs (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.ldap) I had to
> install PloneLDAP prior to installing plone.app.ldap.

You only need to do it manually if you are not using buildout, otherwise
buildout will install any required dependencies (or to say better, the
ones declared by the package).

> So I did it the same way as above:
>
> pip -E /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/bin/python2.7 install Products.PloneLDAP
>
> and it was a bit strange. It took a long time to finish and from what I have
> seen on the screen it rebuild almost all zope products. Why?

Because they were installed in the buildout created by the unified
installer, hence the local Python had no knowledge about them.

> anyway after
> this I stopped plone instance, and started it again and from this time I
> simply cannot display the plone site (nor the ZMMI page). This address
> http://localhost:8080 resets connection.
>
> I feel that I did something wrong with pip (incompatible with PloneLDAP or
> what?).
>
> Here <http://pastebin.com/vBud5efe>   is a link to last line of those
> rebuilding messages.
>
> What happened to my zope/plone site?

Don't know without looking at the logs, but you should be able to get it
back running by either:

1. removing with pip all what was pulled in with the installation of
   Products.PloneLDAP and python-ldap
2. backup your modifications to the buildout generated by the unified
   installer and the data, reinstall

Then follow the instructions for installing it using buildout[1].

Servilio

Footnotes:

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.ldap#installing-with-buildout