[Setup] Removing add-ons

barnsey123 nbarnes at csavagencies-uk.com
Wed Sep 12 16:31:04 UTC 2012

Ah...not quite as simple as that.  It would let me login OK but when I logged
out it presented me with some openid screens.
So - on a hunch - from the Zope management Interface I clicked the  "find"
tab and typed in "openid". This returned one link "XXXX/acl_users/openid
(OpenId authentication plugin) " which I then clicked.
This bought up a screen which enabled me to "untick" AUTHENTICATION,
EXTRACTION and USER_ENUMERATION - apparently, these were the services that
openid was providing - ...the thinking here was if openid is not providing
these services then it won't, er, provide the services and so won't give me
any unwanted screens to fill in...and "hey tesco!" no nasty openid stuff
anymore. Yay.

But, it's got to be simpler than that (openid was still an installed add-on
so I should really remove it in some way). So...after some more research
(OK, random button clicking) I stumbled across the "SITE SETUP" screen which
I think is what I wanted in the first place...here I clicked Add-ons and
de-activated openid and now everything seems peachy.

I'm thinking that this may be a better way to de-install things cleanly
without leaving artefacts behind. I'm thinking that If I had just
de-activated openid from site-setup WITHOUT "unticking" it's services then
maybe ZOPE/Plone may have ended up in a state of "confusement".

Still, lots more to learn but I am encouraged by the USABILITY of plone 4.2
(starting today I have now started to upload files and create folders and it
seems easy to learn from an end-user perspective). If anyone could provide
an officially recognized  way of removing add-ons without any buggerization
then I would be very interested.

Thanks
Barnsey