[Setup] Problem upgrading GRUF to Plone 4.2

Praful plone at kaptech.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 15:35:00 UTC 2012

Hello

I upgraded my Plone 2.5.1 site to Plone 3.3.5 and am now trying to upgrade
to Plone 4.2. When running the dry-run option to upgrade to 4.2, I get the
following error:

    Ran upgrade step: Update Join action URL
    Dublin Core metadata definition updated.
    Ran upgrade step: Upgrade DCMI metadata storage in portal_metadata
    Upgrade aborted. Error:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File
"c:\plone42\eggs\products.cmfplone-4.2.1.1-py2.6.egg\Products\CMFPlone\MigrationTool.py",
line 178, in upgrade
        step['step'].doStep(setup)
      File
"c:\plone42\eggs\products.genericsetup-1.7.2-py2.6.egg\Products\GenericSetup\upgrade.py",
line 140, in doStep
        self.handler(tool)
      File
"c:\plone42\eggs\plone.app.upgrade-1.2.1-py2.6.egg\plone\app\upgrade\v40\alphas.py",
line 490, in addRecursiveGroupsPlugin
        plugins = acl.plugins
    AttributeError: 'GroupUserFolder' object has no attribute 'plugins'
    End of upgrade path, migration has finished
    The upgrade path did NOT reach current version
    Migration has failed
    Dry run selected, transaction aborted

I've read that I don't need GRUF in Plone 4. If true, I don't mind if GRUF
is removed either during the upgrade to 4.2 or in 3.  I understand (correct
me if I'm wrong) that GRUF provides permissioning by grouping users. My
Plone installation isn't that large and has only about 20 users (it's an
intranet) and I don't mind recreating groups, permissions the Plone 4 way
whatever that involves - help appreciated!

Please can someone let me know how to proceed. Should I just remove GRUF -
if so, how?

Although I set up the site, this was five years ago and that involved
creating folders in Plone and some CSS - so I'm not that familiar with Plone
or Python (although I know many other programming languages). I was
pleasantly surprised at the time to get as far as I did in Plone 2.5 without
writing any code!

Any help, links appreciated.

Thanks

Praful