[Setup] Doubt about plone - caching (varnish)

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Sat Feb 18 00:55:49 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 00:00, Nathan Van Gheem <vangheem at gmail.com> wrote:

> b) if I change a newsitem that affects my portal page, plone sends the
>> invalidation for the newsitem, and  it sends the invalidation for the
>> portal page affected as well?
>>
> No, it'll only invalidate that one page and normal ttls will take place
> for the portal page.
>
> We've implemented our own manual purge method to address situations like
> this.

URL based purge is good only when you know the URLs to purge and the
content is not embedded in the listings (like news portlet). Purge works
well for images and files which have fixed urls and don't have payload
embedded in HTML. If the site is complex it's very hard to set rules how to
purge the listing pages where the content item appears... I am not sure
could this be done with etags and stuff? Plone internally does not know it.
I think there was a trick involving the last catalog modification date, but
I don't know how to execute it.

If  it's not too expensive you can simply purge the whole Varnish at once
on every Plone edit:

http://opensourcehacker.com/2011/09/08/purge-varnish-cache-from-python-web-application/

Suitable for low edit volume sites.

-Mikko

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Gil Forcada <gforcada at gnome.org> wrote:
>
>> El dj 16 de 02 de 2012 a les 10:08 -0600, en/na Armando Andrade va
>> escriure:
>> > Regards.
>> >
>> > We have deployed three servers with the configuration showed in
>> > diagram, basically, we have an arrange of nginx -> varnish -> haproxy
>> > -> (4 instances of plone) (varnish cache 1 and 2)  in two servers, and
>> > an arrange of nginx -> haproxy -> (4 instances of plone) for edition
>> > purposes in another. Now two questions here:
>> >
>> > a) When I edit one news item, how can plone tell to varnish cache 1
>> > and 2 in the other group of instances servers that, there was a change
>> > and they have to invalidate that object, if the change was made in the
>> > edition server?.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you use plone.app.caching you can configure which servers (varnish or
>> others) have to be pinged with the PURGE method so that they invalidate
>> the pages cached for that specific object.
>>
>> > b) if I change a newsitem that affects my portal page, plone sends the
>> > invalidation for the newsitem, and  it sends the invalidation for the
>> > portal page affected as well?
>>
>> Hopefully someone else will reply on that.
>>
>> Cheers,

>> --
>> Gil Forcada
>>
>> [ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
>> [en] guifi.net - a non-stopping free network
>> bloc: http://gil.badall.net
>> planet: http://planet.guifi.net

Mikko Ohtamaa
http://opensourcehacker.com