[Setup] Plone-4.1.2UnifiedInstaller fails on Ubuntu 11.10

audreyj girlgeek at audreyj.net
Sun Oct 30 02:44:17 UTC 2011

Plone installer has failed on Ubuntu 11.10.

Output is:

Root install method chosen. Will install for use by system user plone

Installing Plone 4.1.2 at /usr/local/Plone

User 'plone' already exists. No need to create it.
Skipping libjpeg build
Compiling and installing local zlib ...
Compiling and installing readline local libraries ...
Installing Python 2.6.7. This takes a while...
Patching for Debian/Ubuntu Multiarch
Patching for thread size
Installing distribute...
Failed: This Python does not have ssl support.

***Aborting***
The built Python does not meet the requirements for Zope/Plone.
Check messages and the install.log to find out what went wrong.

My installation is a root install therefore adjust paths accordingly.
I was able to finish the install after this error by doing the following:
1.  downloaded pyOpenSSL-0.11.tar.gz from https://launchpad.net/pyopenssl
2. set path to include /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.6/bin first
3.  inside the extracted directory for openssl in step 1 run # ./setup.py
install
4. now run the Plone installer again it will pick up where it left off and
the finish successfully