[Setup] /etc/init.d control script for Linux/Ubuntu?

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 3 07:02:07 UTC 2011

On 10/3/11 8:09 AM, ajung wrote:
> It has always been sufficient to link e.g. the bin/zopectl or bin/zeoctl
> script to /etc/init.d
> in order make the startup/shutdown work properly. My preferred startup
> method however is using the @reboot directive through cron.

and in addition to that: many of us - including myself - use supervisor
http://supervisord.org/  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/supervisor
for job control of clusters. In that case you put

/path/to/your/supervisord

in init.d (or cron tab). You see, as so often there is more than one
way to do certain things and we don't impose a specific one here.

As you say, this is a critical admin task where people want
to follow what they are comfortable with. Not what some of us
think should be followed.

And last but not least: Plone tries hard to work across all
major platforms while /etc/init.d is Unix/Linux specific.

Raphael