[Setup] transferring content from 3.0.6 to 4.0.4

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Mar 31 02:08:54 UTC 2011

Op 30-03-11 08:58, hansen schreef:
> Hello,
>
> I've been given the task to have Plone 3.0.6 - run websites run under Plone
> 4.
>
> For this purpose I've been given empty hardware.
>
> I would like to transfer the content from 3.0.6 to 4.0.4 by getting the
> content from the 3.0.6 installation and putting this content into 4.0.4
> rather than converting the storage.
>
> It is like exporting a database into SQL statements and importing these SQL
> statements into a new database rather than converting the databases file
> format.
>
> Is this possible? What do I have to do? I've seen there is an import/export
> button below the websites list in Plone 3.0.6. Would this button be part of
> the procedure?

No.  That button is only expected to work when you export from and
import to a zope instance that has the exact same versions of software.

> I am aware I have to set the settings for the website manually in Plone 4
> then.

First, just doing the portal_migration steps to migrate from Plone 3.x
to 4.x should just work and I would say that is the recommended way.

Second, if that is not an option, look at using transmogrifier to export
and import your content.  See
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.transmogrifier
and
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/quintagroup.transmogrifier