[Setup] Plone 4.0.4 Standalone with PostgreSQL or ZEO

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Mar 28 12:15:00 UTC 2011

Op 27-03-11 23:13, nikolaj schreef:
> Hi JonStahl,
>
> If you mean "Standalone" with "ZEO-based" then yes. It works fine with 35
> users. Still, I would like to experiment with the ZEO install (clients
> server) - I like the design. I know the primary task of the backend to store
> data, but would it be possible to use RelStorage for the backend.
>

> Thanks
> Nikolaj G.
>
> PS sorry, Im a bit confused - people use zope, zodb and zeo a bit loosely.

By my definition (which may or may not be correct) a ZEO setup means
that there is a split between the server running the database on one
side and one or more clients on the other side.  The database is always
a ZODB (Zope Object DataBase).  The database can be stored in
filestorage (Data.fs) or relstorage (like postgres).  Server and clients
can very well be on the same physical machine or on two or more separate
machines.

Note that in plone.recipe.zope2instance you *must* say zeo-client=false
when using relstorage, so at least this recipe does not agree with my
definition. :-)

If you are using relstorage then by definition you are already using a
client-server setup of course, as your zope instance is a client and
postgres is the server.

A real standalone setup (however you may call it) would be one single
zope instance that connects to its own Data.fs that it handles itself
without a zeoserver.

Relstorage and zodb in general can be discussed on the zodb-dev list:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev

--
Maurits van Rees
Web App Programmer at Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl