[Setup] Plone 4.0.4 Standalone with PostgreSQL or ZEO

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:01:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM, nikolaj <nikolaj.groenlund at yahoo.com> wrote:
> At first, Im still new to Plone so bare with me when using wrong terms. And
> yes, RelStorage has good performance. Ill keep the RelStorage solution for
> now (because of a deadline) - but would like to experiment with ZEO.
>
> Hopefully you can answer the questions below:
>
> Is it possible to convert from a "Standalone" install with RelStorage
> (PostgreSQL database) to a "ZEO" install? One thing is theory with
> "zodbconvert" - what about practice? PS Im using RelStorage 1.5.0b2 and
> PostgreSQL 9.0.3.

RelStorage includes a utility that allows you to convert between a
conventional filestorage and RelStorage ,so yes.

> Is it possible to go from a "Standalone" install with Data.fs to a "ZEO"
> install using the same Data.fs? Is it the same ZODB format? (as said, Im
> still a newbie)

Yes.

> Currently Im using "da_DK.ISO8859-1" encoding in PostgreSQL - would
> "da_DK.UTF-8 be better? PS Im setting "Encoding, Collation and Ctype".

No idea, I don't use RelStorage in production.  Others may have more
experience with this, although you are unlikely to get much detailed
help with RelStorage on this list; try on the plone-users or on
StackOverflow, where there are many more eyes.

> Is it possible to have many sites (instances) with Standalone?

Yes, the storage architecture has nothing to do with how many sites
you can have in a Zope instance.

> Is it possible to have many sites (instances) with ZEO?

Yes, see above.

:jon