[Setup] Plone 4.0.4 Standalone with PostgreSQL or ZEO

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Mar 24 23:29:15 UTC 2011

Op 24-03-11 21:03, nikolaj schreef:
> Ive tried Standalone with Data.fs and now managed to setup RelStorage with
> PostgreSQL, but Im in doubt - should I go with ZEO?
>
> Could someone please elaborate the pros and cons between RelStorage and ZEO.
> The setup is going to work for 35 users with EasyNewsletter, Ploneboard,
> Blog, Gallery, MS and PDF context search and WebDAV.

Look at
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RelStorage/1.5.0b2#features
Especially:

- According to some tests, RelStorage handles high concurrency better
than the standard combination of ZEO and FileStorage.  (It may be wise
to run some performance tests yourself.)

- Whereas FileStorage takes longer to start as the database grows due to
an in-memory index of all objects, RelStorage starts quickly regardless
of database size.

- Capable of failover to replicated SQL databases.

A Data.fs is still the standard way to deploy Plone and no one will
fault you for doing so.  Relstorage is a solid solution as well though,
and I have the feeling it is gaining more popularity.

See also the zodb-dev mailing list for discussions on the zodb in either
filestorage or relstorage form:
(also available via gmane)

Cheers,

--