[Setup] Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Alberto Lopes alberto at alopes.com
Wed Mar 16 22:44:08 UTC 2011

Aric,

Some time ago, I had a problem just like your in my Windows 7 computer at
home.

Somehow, if the Zope service is stopped by shutting down the computer
(instead of stopping the service like a nice boy using services.msc) the pid
and lock files for the process won't get deleted.

I just went to the \var folder of my Plone installation folder and deleted
the instance.pid and instance.lock files (after making sure the pythonw.exe
process was not running).

Then I could start Plone alright.

If your problem is the same as mine, just make sure you shut down your Plone
instance nicely before shutting down the computer.

Alberto