[Setup] Plone, Data.fs on Amazon EBS

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 20:27:01 UTC 2011

Noe Misael Nieto Arroyo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm playing with Amazon EBS Volumes. My strategy is to have one EBS for
> Linux OS and Plone code, and another EBS for the Data.fs. No that I have
> format the Data.fs's EBS volume, I was wondering if I could get any
> advantage for formating that EBS with a particular filesystem.
>
> On amazon EBS volumes, do I have any advatage by formatting it with ext4?
> ext3?
>
> I was told that I should mount my EBS volume with noatime option set.
> Would
> that give some performance gain?

Mounting with noatime should give some performance gain, but I have not
measured it. (The options prevents file access timestamps being recorded.)

I'm currently using a similar setup on EC2 / EBS (though I put the entire
plone buildout on a separate volume as it was easier to setup that way.) I'm
using xfs for my Plone volume, as xfs allows for the filesystem to be frozen
using xfs_freeze, which I do before making  an ebs snapshot backup. This
ensures that the filesystem is in a consistent state when backed up. I make
the backup using euca2ools rather than the ec2-api-tools as they're much
faster.

Laurence