[Setup] Setup exit with "No space left on device"

hajot at gawnet.ch hajot at gawnet.ch
Fri Jul 8 08:33:21 UTC 2011

Hi

In other mailings I found a response from McMahon, that during the
installation, compressed Plone packages will be automatically expanded into
the /tmp directory. On my (yes, I know very underperformend Synology NAS
DS-108j) I am suffering of very limited ressources. 'df' reports me that
the mount point of /tmp offers some 10 of MB.

Thus as a first workaround, I used the approach of McMahon to set TMPDIR
pointing into another partition. I exported TMPDIR system wide (checked
with echo STMPDIR for root and plone) in /etc/profile. The partition
referred by TMPDIR offers more than 400GB. However, another try to install
plone resulted again in "No space left on device".

Then I thought perhaps I am also suffering of memory shortage in the
PLONE_HOME. Some investigations showed me that my PLONE_HOME refers to the
default /usr/local/Plone. As for my understanding this is in the rootfs and
'df' reports my rootfs partition to have about 1,7GB 30% used. I decided to
move the content of PLONE_HOME to the 400GB partition and restarted the
installation with the --target option overriding the PLONE_HOME default.
However again the "No space left on defice" as quoted in my install.log
excerpt below.

Could somebody give me some other suggestions, please. Are perhaps other
parts of the python installation scripts still using the small /tmp
partition as a default? Could it be, that my very limited 32MB RAM is a
problem during installation and I need to make a swap partition?

br Hans-Joerg (Goerge)
Detailed installation log
Starting at Fri Jul  8 00:29:49 CEST 2011
Creating directory '/volume1/usr/local/Plone/zinstance/parts'.
Creating directory '/volume1/usr/local/Plone/zinstance/develop-eggs'.
Getting distribution for 'Zope2==2.12.18'.
error: Setup script exited with error: No space left on device
An error occured when trying to install Zope2 2.12.18. Look above this
message f
While:
  Installing.
  Getting section instance.
  Initializing section instance.
  Installing recipe plone.recipe.zope2instance.
  Getting distribution for 'Zope2==2.12.18'.
Error: Couldn't install: Zope2 2.12.18
[versions]