[Setup] collective.gallery not installing

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 11 16:30:50 UTC 2011

On 2/10/11 3:01 PM, dobrien wrote:

> Hi Raphael

Hello again,

> Thank you for your reply. I would like to point out that some users of Plone
> like myself are not programmers/developers.

As much as I understand that, it is not always obvious from
a single posting to judge whether that's the case or not.
That's why I started this part with "If you are up to it .."

> So when I see a product that in
> it's change log states "fix plone3 compatibility" I am going to think to
> myself that the product is going to work for me on my version of Plone.

While I understand your frustration I still like to point out that
we are talking about a 3rd-party extension here which someone is
willing to share. What you quote above "fix plone3 compatibility"
indicates to me that the author has written or upgraded the add-on
to work with Plone 4 and later restored Plone 3 compatibility.
I'm guessing now that (s)he did that using the latest version
within the Plone 3 series and considered the case close once
that was working. While the statement "Plone 3 compatibility"
might indeed be a bit bold I still think it's OK given that
you can expect people to try out things first and accept if
it is not working for them on older versions.
BTW: for various reasons I'd recommend that you update to
Plone 3.3.5 anyway.

> conditionalcomments means nothing to me. Even after Googling it I am still
> in the dark.

If you browse into the source of the add-on you will find a folder
called 'profiles', in there 'default', in there 'cssregistry.xml'
and 'jsregistry.xml'. In those XML files you find the values for
stylesheets and scripts to be registered with the respective
registries. Look for all occurrences of 'conditionalcomment'
and remove those.

Or you give http://plone.org/products/plone-true-gallery
a try.

Good luck,

	Raphael

PS: such questions might be better asked on plone-users where there
is also a larger audience ...