[Setup] Need advice upgrading from 3.5 to 4.0.2

John Reese jwreese0 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 01:49:10 UTC 2011

I am having trouble upgrading a standalone Plone site from 3.5 to 4.0.2.
I have followed the outline for upgrading to a buildout-based Plone
distribution, but after migration the new Plone site has lost most of
its formatting and has lost the top-level tabs that contain most of my
content.

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/general-advice-on-updating-from-a-non-buildout-to-buildout-based-installation

The article "Updating a custom Plone 3 buildout for Plone 4" hints at
some things that I am missing, like a step to extend the buildout of 3.5
so it can be incorporated into 4x, but it is very hard to follow:

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-plone-3-x-to-4.0/buildout-3-4

There's really nothing special about the content or format of my
original site. It is a stock Plone site without customization, but I
have added one add-on product (FCKEditor) and it was used heavily in the
creation of the content. This should be easy to migrate to 4x but so far
I haven't been able to get it to work.

I would appreciate any advice, particularly advice that might make sense
of the procedure for 'extending' the 3.5 buildout.

John Reese