[Setup] Several data.fs vs. 1 data.fs and what to migrate

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 13:50:47 UTC 2011

hansen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> our old installation has 1 Data.fs for each site (named Data.site.fs).
>
> Plone 4 has got only 1 Data.fs depsite me having added 2 empty sites.
>
> Can I and where would I configure individual Data.fs for each added site?
>
> As this is about migration from Plone 3.0.6, what else would I have to
> migrate from 3.0.6 for a successfull migration?
>
> As I'm a noob in this regard, please be precise regarding file locations,
> ie. directories, and procedures, i.e. do X = run sudo ./y --cfg.
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

By default Plone puts all sites in a single Data.fs. Personally I don't see
much point in running several Plone sites in a single instance with
different storages as most Plone memory usage is the per storage object
cache, so you don't lose much be just running an instance per Plone site and
you gain a lot of flexibility (no longer needing to upgrade all sites at the
same time.) However, I believe that
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.recipe.filestorage will allow you to
configure your multi-storage setup in Plone 4.

Laurence