[Setup] Active Directory setup for multiple domains one Plone site

Tom Fallon thomas.r.fallon at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 26 00:17:00 UTC 2010

Hello, my name's Tom and this is my first post to this forum. I've been
searching both the Plone forums and googling this problem for several days
and have hit a walll.

Question: is it possible, and what is the best way, to set up a single Plone
site to accept authentication from 2 separate domains?

Outline of current set up:

Ubuntu server 9.04 32-bit running Plone-3.3.4 installed via Unified
installer with single instance.

Successfully set up single domain authentication using the steps outlined in
the following
http://www.catapultsolutions.net/resources/plone-cms-talks-w-ms-active-directory.html
link

Desired setup:

Singe Plone site with authentication for 2 separate domains (there is trust
between them but they are not within the same forest)

Steps taken to try and get this working:

Only found 2 links (
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/large-activedirectory-authentication 2 /
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/setting-up-plone-to-authenticate-using-active-directory
3 ) which seemed to detail instructions of what I was trying to achieve.
Other links hinted at it but either didn't support multiple domains or were
targeted at older versions of Plone

I have a second server (mirror install of the first) and t have followed
above instructions to the letter however I'm unable to get even a single
domain to authenticate using these instructions.

Logging in with domain user name (initialfirstname OR
domain\initialfirstname) and password generates this error:

Login failed. Both login name and password are case sensitive, check that
caps lock is not enabled.

Is there a way to use the method in the first link to add a second domain
controller to authenticate to? I appreciate this opens another issue of same
login names on 2 different domains causing problems - but I will cross that
bridge if/when I get to it.

Perhaps I'm approaching this the wrong way and a simpler method would be to
create two sites with their own separate authentications but with links
between them. However there are a number of shared services between the 2
companies so in an ideal world I'd really like both to have access to a
single intranet with navigational tabs set up for each arm of the company.

Has *anyone* out there managed to get this set up successfully?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Many thanks, Tom.

.