[Setup] Unresponsive PDF uploads

Bimble bimble at molerat.com
Tue Mar 9 22:50:01 UTC 2010

I'm trying to upload a PDF file to a vanilla Plone site, but when I try the
site simply never returns anything when I "save" the file - it just hangs.
The rest of the site is quite responsive, and I can upload other file types
(like docs, zips, and jpgs) just fine.  I don't get any errors in the
instance.log.

I get the same result for both Plone 3.3.4 and for the latest Plone 4 alpha,
so I'm guessing it's something in my system setup.  I'm running Ubuntu 8.04
(Hardy), and I'm just doing a standalone install to try and get something
running.  I did turn on debug mode, but still got nothing in the logs when I
sent a request to upload a PDF file.  Any ideas on what could be causing
this issue, or what other settings/tools I could use to troubleshoot this
problem?

I have tried reinstalling poppler-utils, and tried installing xpdf in its
place.  If neither is installed I do get an error message in the
instance.log file complaining that pdftohtml can't be found, so the
transform does appear to get called.  I tried deleting those transforms for
the Plone site, but the uploads still hang (though there may be something
else to do after deleting a transform other than restarting the instance, I
confess to being new to both Plone and Zope).