[Setup] upgrading from Plone 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 does not upgrade zope? — gap in documentation, and a bug with Zope 2.10.11

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 23 15:37:46 UTC 2010

Focus on the [zope2] section of your buildout .cfg file for Plone 3.3.4.

If you find a line
url = http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.7/Zope-2.10.7-final.tgz

then replace that one line with the two lines that follow:
url = http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.10.9/Zope-2.10.9-final.tgz
# url = ${versions:zope2-url}

Explanations:

<http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/10110> outlines a gap in documentation.

<http://dist.plone.org/release/3.3.4/versions.cfg> specifies version 2.10.11
but installation of that version may be without a version.txt file.
http://n2.nabble.com/-tp4428118p4428118.html Plone 3.3.4 control panle
displays wrong Zope version?  and other topics relate. I don't know whether
it's safe to work with an undetectable version of Zope.

Until we know whether it's good to continue with installation of 2.10.11
that's bugged in this way, my /guess/ is that we should restrict ourselves
to 2.10.9.

If we learn that 2.10.11 is OK to use, then you can remove the comment from
the line
# url = ${versions:zope2-url}
and remove the line that specifies 2.10.9.

Regards
Graham